Saturday, August 09, 2014

Minis in Melbourne Part 1 (The inspiration)

July and early August were crazy-busy for me with a major work project, expressions of interest due in for roles in our new work structure plus the August tiny Times to edit. So I decided I needed to run away for a bit at the end of it all and finally see the Mid-century modern - Australian Furniture design exhibition in Melbourne.

I took over 400 photos in the two and a half days I was there: so decided to break them down by theme into several blog posts so I don't overwhelm you (or me!)

After I dropped my bags off the owner of the apartment I'd rented took me to her favourite local cafe for a coffee. And I fell in love (with the cafe, not the owner). Switchboard Cafe is located at the back of the Manchester Unity building arcade in what used to be the building's switchboard. 

On one side of the arcade is a tiny seating area, not much bigger than a shop window
View of Switchboard cafe in Melbourne.
and on the other, a hole in the wall where the barrista makes the coffee and where the food is prepared.
View of Switchboard cafe in Melbourne.
Over coffee I decided it would be the perfect small-size miniature project
View of Switchboard cafe in Melbourne.
so took a pile of photos for reference.
Close up of door handle at Switchboard cafe in Melbourne.
View of seating area at Switchboard cafe in Melbourne.
The apartment I'd booked was also crying out to be made in miniature.
Table with a vase of magnolias, a mug and a book on it. The window behind overlooks an old Melbourne building on Swanston Street..
Located on the third floor of the Capitol Theatre building, designed by Walter Burley Griffin and built in the 1920s, it included original internal columns, windows and a beautiful parquet floor in the kitchen.
View of the Walter Burley Griffin-designed windows in the Capitol Theatre building in Melbourne, from inside an apartment there.
 Unfortunately the arcade downstairs had been remuddled in the 1960s, but there were still some original details on the exterior of the building.
Ceiling of the awning of the Walter Burley Griffin-designed Capitol Building in Melbourne.
On my second day in Melbourne I stumbled across The Little Library in Melbourne Central. 
View of The Little Library in Melbourne Central.
 And, once again, found myself designing a miniature version in my head.
The Little Library in Melbourne Central: entrance and signage.
The Little Library in Melbourne Central: blackboard instruction sign saying 'Borrow a book return it. Or bring another book back.'
Vintage shoe last in front of a shelf of books at The Little Library in Melbourne Central.
Blackboard sign on a shelf of books at The Little Library in Melbourne Central: 'Please borrow our books, but please don't take our props. Thank you.'
Vintage chair in the corner of The Little Library in Melbourne Central.

1 comment :

Rebecca said...

What wonderful and creative uses for tiny spaces!